Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Back.

So - I returned from New York nearly a month ago now, and have finally returned to London.

I've had a lot on in the last month: jobhunting, moving between friends' sofas and my parents' place in the countryside, attending the Liberal Democrat conference in Liverpool and a lovely celebration of my friend's 50th birthday and civil partnership in a villa near Lucca, in Tuscany.

It is good to be back in the UK, being away has definitely made me appreciate things here more.  It has been lovely to spend some time in the English countryside, and remember how beautiful it can be strolling up the dusty mud tracks in the early autumn sun. 

Sometimes when I think of my time in New York I only think of the intense heat and humidity that made my summer a bit more uncomfortable than I'd hoped it to be.  But it is wrong to let this memory of endurance hang over what was an incredible, once in a lifetime experience.

In my last post, I included some of the interviews I conducted with some of the seniors I met through Project FIND.   They endure.  But they endure with hope for a positive future, and some of them are living that positive future after receiving housing support from Project FIND.  So many of these seniors were still dreaming about their futures, about the jobs they hoped to do, or the places they hoped to go.  Many had lived difficult lives, or suffered recent health problems, but still woke up with a spring in their step and a smile on their face each day.  Project FIND can take much credit for this. Many of the activities at these senior centres provide them with a purpose to life. Having a purpose is so critical in keeping people happy, healthy and motivated to keep going each day.

I have written about it in this blog before, but New York is a city shaped by its own self confidence.  By the narratives created about it in so many films and songs.  By the people who make huge sacrifices to come to this city, so (as I read on a Time Out New York tweet) "they can be themselves."  And, if you are able to work hard, you certainly can be yourself in New York.  There is something for everyone, although those with little money will certainly struggle.

I miss the direct approach of New Yorkers.  So much less passive aggressive behaviour compared to the British. They will tell you what they think.  No white lies, "that just gets you into all sorts of trouble" said one of my former colleagues. Why should being direct and honest offend if the purpose of the communication is constructive?

I miss Fairway supermarket with the amazing deli and choice of food.  I miss that view over the Hudson river.  I miss lying down in Central Park or in the warm evening watching a free film on the Intrepid and in Bryant Park. I miss having a different activity to do each night with the Clayton volunteers or new people I met in the city.  I miss meeting interesting people from all over the world in International House.  And I miss learning about people, their pasts, their presents and their futures.

I would recommend spending time somewhere different, doing something different to anyone.  It can be hard at times, and if you change, people may not always change with you. But it is real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment